Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day Flower Communion Service

I have been a member of the Unitarian Universalist Society in Schenectady for a number of years. I look forward to each Sunday Service for I often come away feeling inspired from the experience. On this Mother's Day, the Unitarian Universalist service celebrated our mother through the Flower Communion. As part of this ritual, church members were asked to bring in a flower which they would share with other members of the congregation. Through the ritual of the Flower Communion, I received a flower from another member of the congregation as well as gave a member of the congregation a flower. The focus is in on giving and receiving. Through this ritual, I felt bonded with other Unitarian Universalists in my congregation.
On this Mother's Day, one of the readings was directed to out relationship with our mother. I realized that I recieved many many gifts as she nurtured me as I was growing up. I also experienced some feelings of guilt for not thanking her sufficiently for these gifts. On this Mother's Day, were she still alive, I would tell her how much I appreciated the love she had showered on me. I would bring her not one flower but a bouquet.

No comments:

Post a Comment