Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Jazz on Jay Street

One reason which makes Schenectady a special place for me to live, happens each spring, beginning on the first Thursday, in June. There is JAZZ ON JAY STREET. Local musicians and vocalists have been engaged by the city to share their talent with citizens of Schenectady. Beginning with the noon hour, a large audience made up largely of senior citizens, many bused in from nearby homes for the aged, are willing to brave the noon day sun and heat, to listen to music which they enjoyed when they were growing up. They listen to the music and do not chat with their companions while the band is playing. People who walk along Jay Street during their hunch break stop to listen to the concert.
Coleen Pratt and her musician friends opened the series on June 4, 2009. Having Coleen as the featured vocalist always insures a large turnout for she is a crowd favorite who has a remarkable talent as a jazz singer. Th following week another group performs and by the end of the summer, some fourteen groups will have shared their talents.
When the concert begins, I position myself front and center to the band so that I do not have to look over the shoulders of those seated in front of me. Listening to the music popular during the Big Band Era, I am tempted to jump up from my seat to start dancing to the infectuous beat of the music
The concert ends after an hour and fifteen minutes. I approach each musician and thank them for their performance. They, in turn, thank me for being such an attentive and appreciative listener. I leave Jay Street feeling exhilerated and think how fortunate I am to live in a city which makes such a program possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment